- Log into your School Dashboard.
- Click “Import Roster” from the top of your Dashboard:
- Download the Freckle Roster Template files (link coming soon). This zip file contains templates for:
Preparing Your Roster Files
- All four CSVs are required, every time you upload data.
- All fields within each CSV are required.
- For every school you wish to update, the data set must be complete and include all students, teachers, and courses that should have access to Freckle.
- You can create your own CSV files by exporting from your Student Information System, or you can update our template files.
Step 1 - Prepare the students.csv file:
Step 2 - Prepare the teachers.csv file:
Step 3 - Prepare the courses.csv file:
- Teachers can own more than one course.
- Course names can be repeated.
- If a course has a co-teacher, duplicate columns A and B (Course ID and Course Name) in a new row and input the co-teacher's email in Column C (Teacher Email).
Step 4 - Prepare the enrollments.csv file:
- Students can belong to multiple courses
- Students who belong to a course will be shared across ALL teachers who have access to that course.
- Students who do NOT belong to ANY courses will not be created during the Roster Sync.
Uploading Your Roster Files
Review your roster. To avoid common errors, check that:
- You have created all four CSVs.
- For every school you wish to update, the data set is complete and includes all students, teachers, and courses that should have access to Freckle.
- First names and last names are listed in the correct columns.
- The grade field in the Students tab follows the CEDS format: KG, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.
- In the Students tab, you have exactly one row for each student.
- In the Teachers tab, you have exactly one row for each teacher.
- The Courses tab excludes courses that will not use Freckle (e.g. P.E.).
- The School SIS IDs in the teachers.csv file refer to schools that you have permission to update.
Upload all four CSVs into Freckle.
Merging Duplicates (recommended!)
Your teachers may have already created Freckle accounts for some of your students. To maintain student data while removing duplicates from your roster, we recommend that you check the Merge Duplicates option in Roster Sync:
Two student records will be merged into one record if ALL of the following are true:
- They both have the same first and last names.
- They both belong to the same school.
- They are within one grade level of each other.
- One of the records is “trusted,” or was created by an admin.
After the merge:
- Course memberships are retained.
- Practice data is retained.
- In cases where information conflicts between the two records (i.e. name or grade level), we trust the admin-created record.
To import your roster files, click “Start Import.” First, the system will merge duplicate student records in your schools (if selected). Then, the system will perform a dry run of the roster sync so you can review your updated roster before confirming the changes.
You may have errors in your CSV files that prevent you from reaching the Summary screen. For example:
- The system might not have School SIS IDs for all of your schools. If this is the case, you will have the opportunity to match your schools to the SIS IDs in your CSV:
- Your CSVs may have formatting issues. If this is the case, Freckle will identify the changes you need to make before you can proceed.
Confirming your Roster
Once you have fixed all CSV errors, you will reach the Roster Sync summary. If applicable, you can see how many duplicate students were found and merged, and confirm that the Roster Sync summary is updating the number of records you expect.
- Use the dropdown to confirm that the schools you are about to update are the correct ones.
- Confirm that the Roster Sync is updating, adding, and archiving the right number of student, teacher, and course records.
Click “Sync Roster & Finish” to finalize the sync! You must click this button to finish loading your data!